Originally Posted 5/15/16
So many people feel that if they ‘only had’ or ‘only were’ or ‘only could’ that they would be able to grab a little contentment. Truth be told no one can ‘grab a little bit of contentment’ for one simple reason. It doesn’t exist ‘out there’.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but we’ve all heard that before.
What so many do not realize is what is necessary to grow contentment from the inside out. Please let me share what I have learned over the years from all of my family.
1. First and foremost, I cannot be content with anyone else if I am not content with myself. Before I am able to work on that relationship or job or anything else, I need to work on me.
2. All the money in the world will definitely help to pay the bills and feed myself and the entire community if I so choose. However, it cannot, and never will, buy me contentment. I could own every single item I ever wanted, but if I still feel empty inside… money then becomes useless.
3. For as much as I may be able to do for others, unless I do for myself as well I will remain drained. In order to do for others, I must keep myself in good health as well.
4. Respect is an incredible word, a feeling that can help someone heal and a gift given that is like no other. It is important to show respect for others. It is vitally important to gift it to yourself first.
5. Without this there is nothing, even if everything else has been done. I MUST under ALL circumstances accept myself for who I am as I am at any given moment. I do not have to like what I see, but I do still need to love and accept myself even as I work on what I do not like. That act of acceptance can bring more contentment than ever thought possible.
When life ‘happens’ and you are frustrated beyond... ask yourself, “What am I frustrated with? Is it me? Is it what is happening around me? Is it the responses that are happening not only from others, but from myself as well?” Take the time to figure out what is undermining your own peace of mind… your sense of contentment. You owe it to yourself to do so. You deserve that wonderful sense of contentment. You deserve to be happy with yourself, and the world deserves you sharing it with the rest of us. Treat yourself like the precious soul that you are…please.
I wish you peace in your heart and stars in your eyes, for if they are shining there can be nothing else but peace.